The Karat Jewelry Group is proud to offer the finest Moissanite rings, earrings, and other jewelry in the US, and we’re confident that Moissanite will prove to be an appealing choice for many of our customers. We carry only the finest brands of moissanite: HARRO GEM, CHARLES & COLVARD, & SUPERNOVA.
Stop in today and choose a moissanite stone! We can custom create a ring design of your dreams. Using the latest technology and 3d CAD software, we can make custom rings extremely affordable and unique.
What Is Moissanite?
Moissanite is somewhat similar to diamond. But while natural diamonds form right here on Earth, natural Moissanite can only be found in meteorites.
As you can imagine, a gem that only fell from the heavens was very rare, rare enough that until recently, an individual would not be able to purchase Moissanite jewelry. That changed when other scientists learned to create Moissanite in the laboratory. In today’s world, this synthetic jewel is created in such a way to look similar to a diamond even though its composition and certain aspects of its appearance are notably different. Moissanite and diamond differ with regard to their color, brilliance, and durability.
Here’s a closer look at the properties of Moissanite vs. the properties of diamond:
Moissonite vs. Diamond: Fundamental Differences
- Color. Moissanite is technically considered to be colorless but can look grayish or yellowish in certain light. The larger the stone, the more likely you are to discern a trace o color. Whether natural or artificial, a diamond’s color is essentially devoid of any trace of gray, brown, or yellow, and thus it has a bright white appearance.
- Brilliance. A diamond reflects light in three different ways. The surface reflection is technically called brilliance, the refraction of color inside the stone is dispersion, and the surface sparkle is scintillation. Remarkably, though, with a refractive index of from 2.65 to 2.69, Moissonite has an even greater light return than diamond. That means it shines and sparkles even brighter. That said, it should be acknowledged that not everyone feels the difference is to Moissanite's advantage. Because Moissonite is faceted differently, it gives off distinctive color flashes that are more noticed with larger stones.
- Durability. You’ve probably heard that diamond is the hardest substance on Earth, a perfect 10 on the Mohs Scale of Hardness, and it’s true that Moissonite hasn’t knocked it off its throne. But Moissonite is also an extremely hard substance, 9.25 on the Mohs Scale, so hard that only diamond is harder, and it’s fair to say that both stones are therefore very resistant to damage.
- Longevity. With brilliance and durability comes longevity. Diamond jewelry has longevity, but with their resistance to damage and their retention of clarity and brilliance over time, Moisonite rings, Moissonite necklaces, and other forms of Moissanite jewelry do, too. Purchasers can confidently expect to hand Moissanite jewelry down to their children.
Other Factors That Make Moissanite a Smart Choice
- Price. Moissanite is less expensive than a diamond. You can expect a one-carat diamond to cost around $5000. A one-carat Moissanite gemstone runs around $600.
- Sourcing: War and Human Rights Issues. We’ve all heard of “blood diamonds.” They originate in war-torn African nations, are often mined by exploited workers, and the profits they generate fund military action. With Moissanite, created in a laboratory as it is, you need not worry that your purchase makes you complicit in such activity.
- Sourcing: Environmental Impact. Some diamonds are mined with methods that damage the environment. Even when care is taken, the carbon footprint can be significant. The creation of a Moissanite gem doesn’t involve any mining and leaves a minimal carbon footprint.
Shop The Best Selection Of Moissanite Jewelry & Moissanite Engagement Rings on Our ETSY STORE